Jun 21, 2013

How to Wake Up Earlier (instead of leaving it to the last minute)


Back in my 9-to-5 days, my morning routine would look like this:
  • Alarm rings
  • Snooze button
  • Alarm rings again
  • Snooze button
  • Alarm rings yet again & I realize I have 5 minutes to be out the door
  • Frantic acrobatics, out of bed
  • Skip breakfast, skip shower
  • Barely get enough make up on
  • Out the door
  • Rush, rush, rush to work
It's safe to say I was not leading an intrepid lifestyle! More like a frantic, stressed out and malnourished lifestyle!

Are you frantically rushing out the door every morning without breakfast? Are you always five minutes late to work? Have you tried to create a new habit of waking up earlier by using affirmations and positive thoughts without any improvement? It's no wonder you're tired and fatigued every day! You're going about this from the wrong angle.

How you do your mornings is how you do life. Your morning state is what sets you up for the day, if you're frantic & stressed, you bring that energy into your day. But if you're well rested and relaxed, your day is gonna go a whole lot different!

When I realized I was NOT setting up my daily zen very well, I knew the best approach was to be gentle and slowly develop the habit of getting up earlier over a few weeks. Here's how you can do it too.

How to Wake Up Earlier

  1. Set your alarm every day for the ideal time you'd like to get up. So say work starts at 9:30am and you'd like at least an hour and a half to get ready, set it for 7:30am.

  2. Then let the alarm go off in the morning, BUT, don't get up. Chances are your mind will be like 'WTF!?' and you'll just hit snooze and that's fine.

  3. Keep doing that every morning. What this does is it's training your mind and your body to switch on at 7:30am even if you don't get up.

  4. After some time (maybe a week, two or even a month!) you will naturally start waking around the time your alarm goes off and slowly you'll start finding you have energy to get up at that time. 

  5. Create a 'Christmas morning equivalent' incentive to get up. This is my favourite part! Once your mind has caught up and knows when to wake, you can give it an extra boost by creating that excitement of christmas morning. What's something fun you can put into your schedule before work? Maybe it's a fabulously hot shower, a delicious gourmet coffee, an exciting book you're obsessed with atm, green smoothie, yoga, a quick walk to your fave cafe, a hot outfit, a hot boy? :P I find I still have child motivation to naturally wake my ass up at 6am on Christmas morning so how can you make everyday Christmas morning?
This has worked for me time and time again, it's about training yourself to create a new habit and rewarding yourself for committing to it each day. That, for me, is the best way to wake up earlier!

Do you struggle with getting up early? How have you overcome it? Tell me your story in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I like the alarm clock tip. I had set up my alarm earlier these days but without results. Ill see if my body and brains get used to it! I hope so! Thanks elise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take a while, but the important thing is that you're both allowing yourself to sleep in while simultaneously training yourself to wake a lil earlier :)

      xx

      Delete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS